Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A man of a certain age named Jaun, a flotation device and americans on honeymoon.


What do these three things have in common?
They all were characters in what I like to call "Adventures on a boat in Fiji" otherwise known as our last day in Fiji.

Denarau harbour marina 10 am last Friday. A couple of jerks waiting with a large hat and oversize straw bag for "Fiji's most luxurious harbour cruise." Maybe.

Have driven on a shuttle bus with a bunch of uncouth Australians, sun burnt poms and yanks on honeymoon for an hour. Not staying at our hotel. (I said a silent prayer to the hotel gods that Barry from Melbourne was torturing people at the Shang ri la.... ha ha)

Juan - a man in his late 60's with a bronzed and buffed, if slightly barrelled appearance, wearing a Euro tog style swimsuit with zippers and not much else. Seemed to be deaf in right ear. Partner spent alot of time talking loudly in his left ear. I now know a tad more information about them than I really need to.

Yanks on honeymoon - need I say more. Get a room. Or go back to it. Stop taking pictures from a moving bus.
Lovely Japanese couple. With so much gear I was secretly hoping to be trapped on a dessert island with them in order to have a turn of their Ipad.
A couple of smucks from Melbourne.
Some poms.
And us.

We arrive at the Island ready to go snorkeling and stuff. The Japanese man takes out a large blow up raft/ boat thing and starts to blow it up. Why didn't I think of that I though. They will be floating around the calm waters - lovely.

We head off on our guided snorkeling tour and the Japanese man ( if I only could remember his name) starts snorkeling and pulling the raft/ boat thingy along with him.

You see his wife couldn't swim and he didn't want her to miss out so he pulled her along with the rest of us. She had a mask and snorkel but she wasn't in the water. Genius.
It was one of the sweetest and funniest things I have ever seen. He must really love her I thought. Its also hard to giggle while snorkeling.

A fun day. I bet the man from Melbs is regretting being a show off in front of his lady friend. Is it ever a good idea to dive deep in a coral reef when you are a beginner? And clearly uncoordinated. Dettol, band aids anyone?



1 comment:

  1. I loved your descriptions of your fellow holiday makers, very very funny, made me giggle.

    Have a great week Rachael

    X

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs