Tuesday, October 12, 2010

We ask the burning questions.






How do I look good travelling?

I have really struggled with this in the past. It may not be important to some (or alot) of people but I always feel its my duty to represent my country well. Call me patriotic. I take this role very seriously. I shudder to remember the tracksuit pants wearing idea of 2005. I am sorry Australia. I won't do it again. Or at least I will not wear them boarding a plane.

I did pull off a cute long hall outfit to Heathrow once. It involved a brora cashmere jumper and a certain attitude. It got me upgraded. I like to represent my Scottish heritage as well. If I can.
Sure I was comfortable but I feel I really need to lift my game. Hey you're not going to be comfortable unless you are flying first class so you may as well look chic. A birkin helps. Just keep that in mind.
My sister always packs a pashmina after an incident with a smelly passenger sitting next to her. If you douse your pashmina in perfume (duty free before you leave) you can breath into in if in an emergency stinky situation. Just pretend to sleep with your face buried in cashmere softness. I have unfortunately had to use this technique more than once. It works.

I think the key to a great travel outfit is a great pant and layering. A scarf. A birkin. Boots. That way you can wear socks in case you have to take your shoes off at security. That's a tip from Joan Collins.
My travel style muse is Ms Kim Kardashian. I love her. She's high maintenance yes, but god damn she can rock an airport outfit. I can see some high heeled louboutin boots in my future.
How to look good travelling? Be uncomfortable. But chic.

3 comments:

  1. It's such a conundrum isn't it? You want to look good but you need to be comfortable... I once had a perfect long-haul outfit and was very proud of myself, until I spilled orange juice on my lap (before the plane had even taken off). Chic? I think not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - I hear you and yes the key is layering! Another person who does this well is Elle Macpherson, who seems to be able to combine style with comfort every day - have you seen her on the school run?! The worst is the challenge of going on a ski holiday - so you see so many people who wear their entire ski outfit on the plane rather than pack it. I have never understood this concept. They sweat through the journey in mountain boots and a coat...no good. Lesson learned: pack the ski wear! Lou x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow I always imagine that the paps are *just* there ready to take my shot when I walk through an airport so I really get this.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs